Sign Up for Email Alerts
River Publishers is an international publisher that publishes research monographs, professional books, handbooks, edited volumes and journals with focus on key research areas within the fields of Science, Technology and Medicine (STM).
All Stylus E-Books
E-Books by Subject
E-Book Exam Copy
Request Exam Copy
Request Desk Copy
Blogs & Communities
Request Email Alerts
A Multidisciplinary Introduction to Desalination
Cloth: 978 87 93379 54 1 / $75.00
Published: January 2018
Lib E-Book: 978 87 93379 53 4 / $56.25
About Library E-Book
Published: July 2017
6 1/8" x 9 1/5"
color figs & graphs
River Publishers Series in Earth and Environmental Sciences
Although more than 70% of the globe is covered with water, only a small portion is suitable for direct human use, making the scarcity of freshwater one of our planet's most serious challenges. In this context, desalination, defined as "the separation of salts from water," is one of the possible solutions for appeasing our ever-increasing thirst.
By drawing upon the expertise of a remarkable team of international authors, this book provides a simple, encompassing, and "multidisciplinary" introduction to desalination. The particular stregnth of this publication is its inclusive yet straightforward nature. In other words, the unique assortment of reader-friendly chapters is designed to cover the topic of desalination as a whole and strike a delicate balance between the technical and non-technical.
To this end, the book is divided into five general sections:
* The first section presents an overview of water scarcity, followed by a review of integrated water management and the alternatives to desalination. The fundamentals of desalination are also provided, including simple water chemistry.
* The second section covers conventional desalination technologies, including thermal and membrane processes. The topics of pre- and post- treatment are given due credit, as all desalination plants are more or less reliant on them.
* The third section reviews the history of how desalination technologies originated, including a review of today's R&D activities and cutting edge research. The topic of membrane manufacturing is also covered.
* Section four is concerned with energy and environmental issues, including the application of renewable and nuclear energy, energy minimization, brine management, and environmental impacts.
* Finally, section five covers the social and commercial issues, ranging from rural desalination to politics. Desalination costs and economic feasibility are discussed as well as issues in business development and future market prospects.
Table of Contents:
Dedication; Foreword; Preface
Section 1: Introduction
1. Water Scarcity
2. Integrated Water Management and the Alternatives to Desalination
3. Fundamentals of Desalination
4. Water Chemistry and Desalinated Water Quality
Section 2: Unit Operations
5. Thermal Processes
6. Membrane Processes
Section 3: Science and Technology
9. The Origins of Desalination Technologies
10. Issues in Research and Development
11. Membrane Chemistry and Engineering
12. Newest Research
Section 4: Energy and Environment
13. Desalination Powered by Renewable and Nuclear Energy Sources
14. Energy Consumption and Minimization
15. Brine Management
16. Environmental Impacts of Desalination Plants
Section 5: Social and Commercial Issues
17. Rural Desalination
18. Society, Politics, and Desalination
19. Desalination Costs and Feasibility
20. The Business of Desalination
Related Titles by Subject:
Land & Water Management
Water Resource Management
Environment & Conservation
Water & Sanitation
Blogs & Communities
© 2018 Stylus Publishing, LLC Prices and descriptions subject to change without notice.